Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Last week at the MTC


Being my last week in the MTC, I would like to preface this email by saying:
"AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" Freakin out. We got our travel plans/ Russian tags this week (pictures attatched) and it's all starting to get so real!! But I could not be more excited! I love the MTC, and I've had an awesome time here, but I feel like I need to get out there if I'm going to learn anymore now. As for where I'm at on the Russian.... Let's just say, I'm not really planning on understanding anyone for the first year or so. It's cool. I'm sure I'll get by :)
I would like to say THANK YOU to all of those who sent me so much love this week, through letters and packages. Mom as always :) (you're the best) and the Moodies! Grandma Moody and Sister Moody, those were a great surprise, thank you! ;) And I'm especially grateful to have all these new treats right before I'm leaving because it'll help me prioritize when packing (PACKING, YES!!) Here's a sad fact about me - if I'm looking at a box of girl scout cookies, and a skirt/dress that won't fit if I bring them, which do you think I'll choose? Samoas all the way. It's probably a problem, but at the same time I need to cut down my stuff anyway and this seems to be a method that works for me haha. Sugar addicts all the way.


Seriously though, I am just dying to get to Ukraine. It's so scary knowing I probably won't understand these people, but I can't help but love them. Sister Riley has been sending updates from many missionaries in Donetsk, and the work is just exploding over there! Not just because of the amazing missionaries they've got already serving there, and the wonderful President Campero (who I've heard unfortunately will be going home just a few months into out mission. I already know I'll be sad to see him go, but I'm excited to see a new chapter open in the mission, and what can be done with the groundwork he's laying down.) but the work is moving forward so rapidly because of the AMAZING people. I wasn't expecting to talk about this yet lest I discredit myself because I havent met them, and wouldn't techincally know them, but I feel like I just know - they are the most special people in the world. Similar to Russians, they have this shell that makes them seem cold or mean or sad, but they aren't. They're just real! Which means when you get through to them and help them see why something is important, they know it! And can't just fall away. When they say they are going to do something, they do it! Because they will just flat out tell you when they don't want to. And when they say they love you, they really, really, love you. And you should be honored because it really means a lot.
I feel so blessed to be called to this mission. People always say the Russian speaking missions are the hardest because it's a hard language AND a hard people. Maybe that's true, I guess I'll find out. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Hearing about Elder Moody's work lately (Connor is doing well by the way for those of you that have asked about him :) ) I know that there are places in the world that people are SO sweet and nice that they can't say no, but they never really commit. Unfortunately this is a big frustration for him right now. Missions are hard anywhere in the world, but they definitely come with their different frustrations. We've decided we get both sides of the spectrum.
Woah, after all this heavy stuff I feel like I don't even want to talk about what happened this week! Which reminds me, I'm just terrible at remembering and accurately portraying all the crazy things that happen here. For what is probably a more accurate account of all the things that have  happened to me here in the MTC, you should go to Sister Shrek's blog. Though almost everything that happens to her happens to me (she IS my companion) her stories are infinitely more entertaining than mine. I'm pretty sure the link is sistershrekindonetsk.blogspot.com. This week's entry should include the story of how all our attempts to set up our teachers finally payed off. So much drama that's been going on here that you didn't even know about. Well, I promise, you are in for a treat. Sister Shrek is so great.

Also, I spoke in Sacrament meeting this Sunday. That was fun (a word that I'm beginning to find a completely new definition for). It was SOOO scary and I couldn't really breathe at all for those few minutes, but I got through it and by some miracle hardly anyone could tell that I was nervous. Something surprising that I've gotten a lot here is that so many people think that I'm really confident. hahaha..... well, alright. I can run with that. I guess it's a good trait to have as I pretend to not be shy for the next 16 months. But really, I was so grateful that I had one last opportunity to bear my testimony to my zone. I might not see these people ever again, and I couldn't leave without telling them what I believed.
Other than that just little things - I've been going to choir and rediscovering my love for singing, even though I've pretty much lost my voice. I've (supposedly) been speaking Russian in my sleep every night so that's supposed to be a good sign. We gave our first 40 minute lesson, which was AWESOME. I love teaching and it's starting to get a little easier. Also, we've made up this really great game where we stand in the bathroom and try to trick the sisters into singing certain hymns. Sometimes you have to all out sing, but with really good ones like Come Thou Fount, all you have to do is hum a line and all the sisters start singing it. Other favorites are How Great Thou Art, Battle Hymn of the Republic, and the Start Spangled Banner for some reason... hahaha the sisters are so funny.

Hopefully my next email won't talk so much about me. I'm kind of sick of talking about myself haha. I do have one question though. Mary Edmunds (funniest lady alive) spoke to us the other day and she said to think about someone close to us and whether they would say we were an optimist or a pessimist. I know what your answer would be a few years ago. (Mom and siblings, we've talked plenty about this haha.) Just curious as to what your answers would be now. I'm trying to be better every day.
Okay well I love you all and I appreciate the prayers!! Please, keep em coming, and you will be hearing all about Ukraine very soon!!
Love Always,
Sister Willerth

No comments:

Post a Comment